Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Dear Life

To whom do I owe, except self and God?

When asked the above question, Ithought long and hard before answering. In a world engulfed in the "do me" attitude, many of us feel we have nothing to prove. In most cases we ask ourselves that same question often times leaving out the most important element; that being God.

I was once a self oppressor. Tying my own hands and giving the world credit for "making" me that way. If this didn't happen then I could have been that, or if that didn't happen then I could have been this. I found the answer to teh question quite easy and i'll answer for myself.

I, Robert B. Hillman owe all the loved ones who cared enough to say no. All the people who didnt cater to me. My mother who refused to quit and give up. My family who I didnt allow to love me. The many people who told me I would be great. The church who first claimed I would change lives.

I owe myself, not because I want to prove people wrong, or because I'm motivated by the many limitations others put on me. I do all I can because I know I can, I dont need anymore motivation than that.

I owe first and foremost my Father, my God, my Lord and my Savior. I thought for while
I could be and acheive greatness all by myself. I find strength in knowing he has my back. I find strength in knowing he's not judging me, he's loving me and allowing me to make decisions. The many mistakes I have made, the long dead end roads I have traveled, and yet I still have found a return to love.

To whom do I owe, except God and self?

Rob Hill

1 comment:

Shandra E...*the misses said...

You are the king of soliloquies!! lol..i was sitting here trying to just write from the heart & everytime i tried it turned into poetry??! lol...I Love poetry, but it can be ambiguous & too whimsical (...easy way out) sometimes...I read this like a classic Shakespeare writing!! Your "tone" is so profound...i love it :)