Monday, March 3, 2008

Letter to Life

Dear Life,

7am, this day, two years ago. My brother went home. I had never in my life loss someone so close, so influential, and so special to me. It hit me so hard, unlike anything i had ever felt before. Pain was an understatement, heartbreak just couldnt quite fathom the emotions that flowed through me. We dreamed so much, college, sports, family, kids, careers, cars, clothes, just about anything you could imagine.

March 7th was the day of his homegoing celebration. This day probably changed my life more than his actual death did. I asked to speak at his funeral service, my heart needed an avenue and that was the platform for my release. I woke up alone, got dressed alone, drove to the church alone. I needed me more than anything or anybody else, I had to prove to me who I was because I really didnt know.

I stood there in front the hundreds there in your remembrance. All eyes glazing up at me, your mother, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I wanted them to smile in the midst of their tears, me and you never did much crying. We never in the absence of smiles, so it just didnt feel fit for us to celebrate your life without them. There i delivered the most precious words i have ever written. Smiles lit up the room, even laughter. I cried at the end as i stared at your body, I'll never forget the warmth of your smile, the genuine love in your hug, or the sincerity in your eyes. Every day for the rest of my life my right arm bears your name, it reminds me of life, never death. No "R.I.P.", just your initials....T.E.O....I LOVE YOU

Your Eternal Brother,

Rob Hill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww. ROB...u got me in tears 4m your last to posts! u know ur really not what u look to be! i mean BIG BAD ROB ya know....the one who EVERYONE speaks on! I wouldnt have thought u could write && be soo deep! && the stuff u say its REAL! like what you've been thru.......a real EYE opener!
but i LOVE your writting keep ya head up!

Anonymous said...

nothing short of beautiful..as always..im crying again..ive always loved every word of your writing, no matter how little it has to do with me...i love it.

-Q